The Proust Questionnaire is a set of questions set forward by Marcel Proust, a French Novelist, Critic and Essayist to determine facts about one’s self and to show the development of that self over time. I’m going to post the questions along with my answers, but feel free to copy and paste the list to your own blog and comment here with the link so I can read it too! We’ll here goes.
- What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?
- Proust: To be separated from Mama
Your answer: To be alone, without friendship, love or companionship.
- Where would you like to live?
- Proust: In the country of the Ideal, or, rather, of my ideal
Your answer: Canada, London or New York.
- What is your idea of earthly happiness?
- Proust: To live in contact with those I love, with the beauties of nature, with a quantity of books and music, and to have, within easy distance, a French theater
Your answer: Right Now? In truth to live a simple life and settle down, able to support and have a family, whilst in a job I enjoy and take interest in.
- To what faults do you feel most indulgent?
- Proust: To a life deprived of the works of genius
Your answer: To be pretentious.
- Who are your favorite heroes of fiction?
- Proust: Those of romance and poetry, those who are the expression of an ideal rather than an imitation of the real
Your answer: Jean Valjean, Eddard Stark, Obi-Wan Kenobi and V.
- Who are your favorite characters in history?
- Proust: A mixture of Socrates, Pericles, Mahomet, Pliny the Younger and Augustin Thierry
Your answer: Dante, Henry V, Henry VIII, Shakespeare and Elizabeth I
- Who are your favorite heroines in real life?
- Proust: A woman of genius leading an ordinary life
Your answer: Probably Stephanie McMahon for what she and her husband are creating.
- Who are your favorite heroines of fiction?
- Proust: Those who are more than women without ceasing to be womanly; everything that is tender, poetic, pure and in every way beautiful
Your answer: Ahsoka Tano, Hermione Granger, Galadriel, Brienne of Tarth.
- Your favorite painter?
- Proust: Meissonier
Your answer: Vincent Van Gogh
- Your favorite musician?
- Proust: Mozart
Your answer: The Piano Guys
- The quality you most admire in a man?
- Proust: Intelligence, moral sense
Your answer: Loyalty containing honesty.
- The quality you most admire in a woman?
- Proust: Gentleness, naturalness, intelligence
Your answer: Compassion.
- Your favorite virtue?
- Proust: All virtues that are not limited to a sect: the universal virtues
Your answer: Creativity
- Your favorite occupation?
- Proust: Reading, dreaming, and writing verse
Your answer: Reading and Writing.
- Who would you have liked to be?
- Proust: Since the question does not arise, I prefer not to answer it. All the same, I should very much have liked to be Pliny the Younger.
Your answer: I would have liked to have been Shakespeare or Finn Balor, the professional wrestler.
- Who are your favorite prose writers?
- Proust: At the moment, Anatole France and Pierre Loti
Your answer: Neil Gaiman.
- Who are your favorite poets?
- Proust: Baudelaire and Alfred de Vigny
Your answer: My friend, David J Bauman.
- What historical figures do you most despise?
- Proust: I am not sufficiently educated to say
Your answer: Any that performed genocide.
- What event in military history do you most admire?
- Proust: My own enlistment as a volunteer!
Your answer: The D-Day Landings
- What natural gift would you most like to possess?
- Proust: Will power and irresistible charm
Your answer: To have a singing voice.
- How would you like to die?
- Proust: A better man than I am, and much beloved
Your answer: To the sound of my wife singing gently or reading to me, some wonderful tale.
- What is your present state of mind?
- Proust: Annoyance at having to think about myself in order to answer these questions
Your answer: Disappointed.
- What is your motto?
- Proust: I prefer not to say, for fear it might bring me bad luck.
Your answer: By the power of truth I, while living – Have conquered the universe.